Our Thurso campus is, by design, one of the landmarks of the town. Travelling down Ormlie Road, you can't miss the large glass structure.
Courses in Thurso have been developed to reflect industry needs in Care, Science, Engineering and Construction. Hospitality and Hairdressing courses offer excellent practical skills taught in high quality, real-life working environments at House of Morven.
Our dynamic range of flexible Business, Administration, Accounting and Computing courses are tailored to your needs and the needs of today's business sector and offer excellent progression routes. The diverse nature of our courses will equip you with industry-respected qualifications which will help enhance your career prospects.
- North Highland College UHI, Ormlie Road, Thurso, Caithness, KW14 7EE
- telephone: 01847 889000
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Energy and Technology Education Centre (ETEC)
Our Thurso campus is also home to our fantastic Engineering, Technology and Energy Centre (ETEC). This is where we deliver engineering programmes and modern apprenticeships in partnerships with employers in an up to date, practical setting with excellent industrial facilities.
The centre is believed to be amongst the largest and best equipped of its type in the North of Scotland, providing approximately 3,600 square metres of purpose build engineering facilities, dedicated to the engineering and renewable energy sector.
There are two large workshops divided into dedicated training zones.
Our Engineering Skills Workshop consists of:
- Mechanical Zone including materials testing laboratory, hand skills and machining areas, and mechanical maintenance
- Rig Zone including industrial-scale electrical, mechanical, control and instrumentation rigs so you can practice plant commissioning, maintenance and isolation dismantling
- Electrical Zone including inspection and testing area, motor room, electrical installation and electrical maintenance areas
Our Fabrication and Welding Workshop consists of:
- Welding Zone including equipment to carry out a wide range of welding and fabrication processes
- Fabrication Zone including light and heavy fabrication areas and a five tonne overhead crane
The Centre also has a large Education Zone dedicated to teaching space and fully-equipped with modern video conferencing and multimedia teaching aids, including computer workstations giving you access to a full range of industry-standard engineering software applications.
Rural Studies Centre
North Highland College UHI is at the forefront in developing training programmes for Land Use subjects. We have built up a range of expertise and developed excellent relationships within the industry with estate owners, veterinary nurse practices and equine specialists.
Students train at our state-of-the-art Rural Studies Centre - the only one of its kind in the North of Scotland. It was officially opened as an Equestrian Centre in July 2013 by Her Royal Highness Princess Ann in her official capacity as Chancellor of the University of the Highlands and Islands. It has since undertaken major works to house the gamekeeping and veterinary nurse sections.
Expert facilities include:
- International sized outdoor and indoor arenas
- Tack room and 20 purpose built loose boxes
- 3 high specification classrooms and large video conference suite
- Modern office suites
- Custom veterinary nurse training area including; theatre, kennels, preparation room, isolation area and consultation room
- Rural Studies Centre, Dale Farm, Halkirk, KW12 6UW
- Telephone: 01847 889249 or 01847 889251
Environmental Research Institute (ERI)
The Environmental Research Institute is a centre of aspiration that seeks to be internationally recognised for distinctive and innovative environmental science.
The original ERI centre based on Castle Street, Thurso is a stunning old Victorian School House with offices, three laboratories and a conference room with VC facilities.
Our Centre for Energy and the Environment (CFEE) is a £3 million purpose-built centre situated at the main college campus in Thurso. It is equipped with open plan office space, conference rooms, workshops and laboratories for teaching. BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Methodology) rated CFEE 'excellence' in environmental performance, and upon its completion, CFEE was rated as the most sustainable higher education building in the UK (2009).
- Environmental Research Institute, Castle Street, Thurso, Caithness, KW14 7JD
- Telephone: 01847 889574 or 01847 889589