What is special about this course?
This award meets the registration requirements for Social Services Council for Children and Young Peoples Care Workers. The SVQ in Social Services (Children and Young People) helps to develop skills and knowledge already gained in a childcare setting.
This SVQ 2 in Social Services (Children and Young People) is work-based and has a structured, but flexible, delivery. Students are assessed in the workplace to allow you to demonstrate your competence.
- Suitable employment full or part-time, voluntary or paid, in children’s residential care settings or children’s educational setting
- Demonstrate an ability to write at SCQF level 5 or above with appropriate literacy skills
- Work in a childcare setting at a support level for a minimum of 3 months
- Full-time students: successful completion of the NC Child, Health and Social Care or relevant work experience
This award meets registration requirements for Scottish Social Services Council for Children & Young Peoples Care Workers. The SVQ in Social Services (Children and Young People) helps to develop skills and knowledge already gained in a childcare setting.
This SVQ can be studied as a full-time student, where you will undertake four days equivalent work placement preparing you for a career in a childcare setting, plus one-day attendance at College.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
- Part Time
- Work based
This is a work-based award and you will study from your workplace. You will be assigned an assessor from Thurso or Alness campuses.
How long will my course last?
Full-time: One academic year
Part-time: 12 months
Where can I study my course?
- Work Based
- Full-time: Intake in September each year
- Part-time: Intakes in September and March each year
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
- Full-time: students should apply for full-time bursary funding
- Part-time: students should apply for funding through an SDS Individual Training Account: https://www.myworldofwork.co.uk/learn-and-train/sds-individual-training-accounts-ita
- The College has a limited number of Modern Apprenticeships available for this award
What can I do on completion of my course?
This award meets registration requirements for Scottish Social Services Council for childcare workers.
On successful completion of level 2, in addition to your enhanced employment opportunities, you may be able to move on to:
- Other relevant courses such as SVQ Level 3 Social Services & Healthcare (Adults) or (Children and Young People)
- NQ Social (Children and Young People)
- NQ Health and Social Care
- HNC Childhood Practice
- HNC Social Services
- PDA Health & Social Care Administration of Medicine
- CPD Leading and Managing Care Services
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.