What is special about this course?
This programme has been developed as a direct result of industry demand with the backing of local construction companies. It will help you to become ‘work ready’ through completing a Certificate of Work Readiness. You will also have the opportunity to gain a Construction Skills Certification Scheme card which can provide you with industry accreditation.
- Access to Construction and Engineering
- OR Two National 4 qualifications in numeracy, communication or a technical subject
- OR Adult returners will be welcomed on completion of successful interview
Prospective learners must demonstrate an interest in a career in construction and applicants will be interviewed following the normal College procedures.
The programme will cover essential aspects of workshop practice and hand skills such as:
- Health and safety
- Hand and power tools
- Door hangings
- Joints and finishings
- Appreciation of access platforms and equipment
- 6 week work placement with local employer
- Preparing for employment – employability and enterprise
- Certificate of Work Readiness
The programme will prepare candidates for the work placements which they will embark on in semester two of the academic year.
The course has added value in that candidates have the opportunity to develop core employability, enterprise and citizenship skills through enterprise activities. Students will also have the chance to study towards a Certificate of Work Readiness along with a 190 work placement developed through Skills Development Scotland.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
The course will be delivered entirely on a face-to-face basis for all theoretical and practical units. The programme will be delivered in a practical setting which replicates an industrial environment in the College’s Construction workshops. In semester two of the academic session, students will undertake a work placement (190 hours).
How long will my course last?
One Academic Year
Where can I study my course?
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
- NC Built Environment and Civil Engineering.
- Enhanced career prospects as a modern apprenticeship or in full time employment.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.